CBD for dogs - how cannabidiol can also help our four-legged friends.
CBD oil is already very popular among bipeds and is used to treat numerous ailments. But what about animals? Can CBD oil also support dogs and cats? Science is already researching this and experience reports are quite clear. Many dog owners use CBD oil for their beloved pets to help alleviate symptoms. But how does it work? You can find out here with us.
CBD for dogs - how does the cannabinoid affect dogs?
The effect of CBD on four-legged animals is similar to its effect on humans. Pets like dogs and cats also have an endocannabinoid system and CB1 and CB2 receptors in their bodies. The complex system maintains homeostasis, which is responsible for the body’s internal balance. If there is a disruption in the system, for example, if too few neurotransmitters are released, this can lead to stress and other symptoms.
As with humans, CBD drops can have an impact on CB receptors and the body’s own endocannabinoid production in almost all dog breeds. However, CBD oils are not a replacement for prescribed medications and should only be given as an additional benefit by pet owners after consultation with a veterinarian.
Application areas - for increasing well-being and health.
The well-being of our four-legged friends is naturally close to our hearts. If they are ill, the human almost always suffers with them. Pets are family members and pet owners are keen to do everything for the health of the dear fur noses. From numerous customer reviews, it appears that the hemp plant can have extremely positive influences on the health of dogs. CBD oils are particularly popular as a dosage form for a variety of ailments. But what can the active ingredient really do? Here is a brief overview of what hemp is particularly commonly used for in dogs:
- Anxiety: If the dog suffers from anxiety, this also puts a strain on the human. Such fears can occur occasion-related (e.g. when the dog visits the vet or on New Year’s Eve), but they can also exist permanently. It has already been shown in humans how positive the influence of hemp oil is on anxiety. CBD oil for dogs seems to have a similar effect, with good benefits.
- Reduction of pain: Again, the experience is similar to humans, CBD for dogs seems to be able to reduce pain conditions. Here we should think especially of arthritic conditions, from which dogs suffer more and more often as they grow older.
- Inflammation: Among the modes of action of cannabinoids is the inhibition of inflammatory conditions. This has already been confirmed in research, but is also repeatedly mentioned in testimonials. There is reason to believe that pets can also benefit from the anti-inflammatory effects of CBD.
- General strengthening of well-being: CBD oils can have a generally positive effect on the four-legged friend. This is especially true of CBD products that contain additional omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids. This portion ensures supple skin in the animal and can contribute to a shiny coat.
Which CBD is suitable for dogs?
The individual properties of CBD are diverse. The best variant for dogs, according to previous evaluation and experience by dog owners, seems to be CBD oil, also known as CBD drops. The advantage is that dosing can be easily carried out using a pipette, and the CBD content can be optimally adapted to the needs of the dog.
Researchers found that the cannabinoid receptors in dogs are much more sensitive than in humans. Consequently, their reaction to classical cannabis is significantly more pronounced. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure that the EU-allowed amount of THC (0.2%) is not exceeded when purchasing CBD products. Only then is it legal, and only then is the THC content low enough to not endanger the dog.
Allowed CBD oils are made from industrial hemp extract and are offered in a practical 10 ml bottle.
Tip: A broad-spectrum or full-spectrum CBD oil is the best option. Here you will also find only a maximum of 0.2% THC, but in addition, CBN, CBC, CBG and other cannabinoids.
How is CBD oil dosed for dogs?
Manufacturers cannot provide dosage recommendations for CBD products as CBD oil is not officially approved as a dietary supplement. However, it is generally recommended to start with the smallest possible dose. Naturopaths and veterinarians have developed an entry-level scheme for CBD dosages with hemp oil for dogs which is spreading among satisfied users. For example, for a 20-kilogram dog.
- On the first three days: 1 drop of CBD oil for dogs (10%)
- From day four to day six: 2 drops of CBD oil, distributed
- From day seven to day nine: 2 drops of CBD oil in the morning, 1 drop in the evening
- From day ten to day twelve: 2 drops of CBD in the morning, 2 drops of CBD in the evening
- From day fourteen to day eighteen: 3 drops of CBD in the morning, 3 drops of CBD in the evening
Tip: As soon as you notice that your dog copes well with the dosage, stop increasing it. Animals are very different. For some dogs, 20 drops of CBD oil per day is enough to relieve discomfort. What matters is the dog’s comfort level during use. You will quickly know if you have found the right dosage for maintenance by observing your pet!
Does CBD oil for dogs have any side effects?
Animals can also feel the effects and side effects of CBD. It has been shown in the past that CBD oil for dogs is well-tolerated. So far, there is no evidence that CBD products can cause serious harm to animals.
Whether and how CBD oil works for dogs and whether there are any side effects often depends on the dosage. Our beloved furry friends have a sensitive stomach and if you dose CBD oil for dogs too high, it can cause gastrointestinal problems at the beginning. However, the same effect also occurs with salmon oil or other supplements that actually help your pet.
Therefore, if you decide to use CBD oil, dose it slowly. This way, dogs can adapt to it optimally and the likelihood of side effects is lower. When they do occur, they are usually mild and reduce once the CBD oil is metabolized by the body. Some potential side effects include:
- mild gastrointestinal problems from too rapid CBD oil dosing
- increased sleepiness or stressed dogs often quickly becoming more relaxed after CBD oil use
- reduced or increased appetite, as some dogs react with a proper hunger flash at high CBD doses
What do dog owners need to consider when using CBD?
CBD oil is generally low in side effects and dogs also tolerate CBD products without any problems. However, caution is advised if you have to give CBD oil at the same time as medication. Interactions cannot be completely ruled out, so always consult your veterinarian beforehand.
Please also remember that CBD oil is not a substitute for medication. Sick dogs still need veterinary treatment, the oil can only be a supplement and improve well-being.
Conclusion: CBD is well suited for dogs
The evaluation of satisfied users is clear. The use of CBD oil for dogs is extremely popular, and the products are in high demand. As long as you make sure that the THC content is below 0.2% and you are using a high-quality CBD oil from a reputable manufacturer, you can do your dog a favor with Cannabidiol!
Keep in mind that research is just starting out and not every veterinarian or animal therapist is using hemp extracts. In the next years, it is expected that more research results will be available for the use of CBD in dogs and that the positive effects will be scientifically supported.